Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hunger Challenge

Like many people I've started a budget.
We changed how often we grab fast food or eat out.
Set a budget at the grocery store,
and started feeling pretty good about it.

Then I read about the hunger challenge.
More than 35 million people
in our country are on food stamps
- up 3 million just since January.

WOW.

My budget of $100 dollars a week for groceries
all of a sudden looked like a bit of a luxury.
Especially since we can stretch that a bit if needed (or wanted).

People on food stamps get just
4 dollars a day per person
for now.
It has been just 3 dollars a day.


I started the challenge today.
(McKenzie included)

I use the price of the item
and divide by ounces
total the amount of ounces used
to come up with my price for each item eaten.

Breakfast:
Bowl of Cheerios no milk (2)
glass of water
cup of milk w/carnation instant breakfast
Total: $ 0.94

Lunch:
Hotdog no bun (2)
Nachos (10 chips and cheese)
glass of water
cup of water & juice mixed
Total: $0.89

Dinner:
Toddler lunchable
Lunchable
Cup of Milk w/carnation
Glass of Pepsi (I got a liter of pepsi for 89 cents today!)
Total: $2.88

Day Grand Total: $4.71

Tomorrow I'll try to grab pictures when I make us a meal.
Today was a little crazy since getting back from Kansas.

No comments: